Friday, March 19, 2010

Are you a middle child?

The first born in a family has a firm spot, they are the oldest child, their place cannot be taken away.  They are secure in their status in the heirarchy of the family.  If no other children are born into the family, they are also the youngest child.  Their spot cannot be taken away - they will always be the oldest.

The youngest child for now, the child that will be the youngest until another one appears, doesn't have a firm spot.  They can be replaced by another child at any time making them the middle child. 

As children, the middle child always seemed to be the most versatile.  They had the ability to play with younger children and were just as comfortable playing with older children.  They always seemed to fit in.  The middle children I know appear to take the best of both the oldest and the youngest and go on their merry way.  They don't depend on their status in the heirarchy of the family, they depend on themselves.

Middle children have their own interest, not being dependent on either the youngest child or the oldest child's approval or acceptance.  They do not display the neediness of their younger sibling - they probably wouldn't get the attention anyway - nor the security of the older sibling.  I have noticed that middle children are normally more introverted than either of their siblings being more shy and quieter.  Okay, I must admit I have limited experience with the middle child and I am writing strictly from my experience.

As adults, the middle children that I have observed are very stable, resolute in their beliefs, and are responsible, but do not share their feelings well with others and tend to let stress build to an unhealthy level.  If they have been raised in a tumultuous household, they seek peace and quiet and do not welcome outside influences that are not in agreement with their beliefs.

I would like to hear from middle children.  Are my observations in line with the way you feel about yourself?  What kind of problems do you experience in your household as the middle child?  How do you handle conflict with your siblings?  Do you feel you are treated equally with your siblings?

Let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading!
Belle

1 comment:

  1. I'm a middle child (13), and I have a very good relation with my sister (17). I love my little brother (9) too but he gets me in trouble a lot. We're kind of allied with Sis cos my bro tells everything to my parents. Like you I also got and still get a lot of spankings thanks to little bro. And my parents are strict, they spank with belt or cane on bare (I get it very often). My sister always tried to protect me, my parents say she's my lawyer. But I don't mind to be a middle one, I like that I have an older and a younger sibling.
    Lomi

    ReplyDelete