Monday, February 15, 2010

Are you afraid?

Paraphrased from Dictionary.com . . .

Fear - an emotion that is distressing, causing anxiety or concern

Afraid - a feeling of fear, regret or reluctance


There are many more listings for these two words that are most similar in not only their meaning but also in their application. 

It is my understanding that fear is a constant distressing emotion.  Afraid is the cause of the fear.  Example:  I fear thunderstorms because I am afraid of the lightening produced by thunderstorms.  I fear the dark because I cannot see what is making the strange noises.  I fear going into the cave because I do not know what is in there.

Normally we fear what we don't understand, or we know someone who has had a bad experience.  For some fear is the inability to control - you cannot control whether a snake will bite you or go on its merry way.  The more we learn of things the less we fear them.  Some people fear the dark, heights, water, snakes, spiders, pain, death, fire - there are hundreds of things that people fear.  It is an ongoing emotion of distress and anxiety. 

As a little girl I had a reconcurring nightmare that caused me and my parents much distress and frustration.  I never knew when the dream would come, but when it visited me I became hysterical and distraught.  As an adult, I know the incident that sparked the dream and understand how unreasonable it must have sounded to my parents, but at the time I feared going to sleep because I was afraid of the emotions caused by the dream.  Ironically, in the dream I was unable to reach my parents even though I could see and hear them clearly - I could not make them see or hear me.  At the time there had been many unsettling changes in my life - my paternal grandmother died, my maternal grandparents were moving, I had started to school - none of which should be earth shattering. But to a family oriented six year old it was cause for insecurity and unease.  As an adult I realize that my parents were going through changes also.  I was well fed, clothed and kept warm, but in due to my parent's inexperience and their emotional distress, my emotions were ignored.  I did not receive the comfort and security needed during this time.  As time passed I found that my parents were still there to protect and care for me and my maternal grandparents were moving in order to be closer to me - this gave me even more security.  The dreams eventually stopped after two years and the fear of sleep disappeared. 

We all go through stressful and distressing periods in our life.  If we feel incapable of handling these emotions we feel fear.  Some fears we conquer, others stay with us for a lifetime. 

What are you fearful of or afraid of?  Do you know why you have this fear?

Isaiah 12:2 KJV says "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; : for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strenth and my song; he also is become my salvation."

For me Psalms 23 is the most comforting chapter of the Bible.  It is probably the most read and recited chapter of the Psalms which is also known as a book of prayer.  Read Psalms 23 slowly a verse at a time.  How do these prayers apply to you and your life? 

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."  The rod and the staff were used by the shepards in herding and managing the large herd of sheep - they were used to keep them in line keeping them from danger and harm.  God's keep us from danger and harm by blocking our way, especially if our way is dangerous and harmful.  Remember God is all knowing and all seeing.  If we feel afraid, going to God in prayer will ease our fear.

Happy reading!
Belle

1 comment:

  1. 2 Timothy 1;7 For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

    ReplyDelete