Thursday, February 18, 2010

To Serve or Be Served

"Just as the Son of  Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."  Matthew 20:28 NIV

My devotional this morning spoke to me directly.  I don't like to be served - to be waited on and taken care of.  I try to be self sufficient - to take care of myself not needing the help of others.  I clean my own house, do my own laundry, and cut my own grass.  Some people think it is because I am peculiar and think no one else can do it as well as I can - that is not true.  It makes me uncomfortable for someone to "serve" me even if I am paying for that service.

As I get older, I find that I am not able to do some of the chores that needs to be done around the house.  I don't climb a ladder so well anymore, so I can't clean the gutters.  I can't climb a tree very well so someone else must prune my fruit trees and some of my shrubbery.  I don't accept "service" from others with thankfulness.  I am not gracious in my accepting their help.  That is wrong.  The Bible teaches us to be thankful in all we do.   

I don't serve like I should.  I don't give of myself as I feel God would have me to do.  There was a time when I would have said "I have given out," but that is not true.  Through Jesus Christ we can do anything.  Our strength comes from the Lord.  Isn't that great!  We have a friend that walks with us every day and every night.  He never leaves us.  God is always there!

When I was a senior in high school, my grandmother became sick.  I stayed with my grandparents at night and cared for her so she would not have to go to a nursing home.  Grandmother loved to be "served" and I loved to serve her.  My Grandparents were the focus of my attention.  I couldn't bear to see them separated by putting one or the other in a nursing home.  I loved being able to "serve" my grandparents. 

The year before, my great aunt needed sugery, but as my uncle had had a stroke and couldn't be left alone, she kept putting the off the surgery.  I once again went to stay with my uncle and care for him so my aunt could have her operation.  It was a trying summer.  My aunt and uncle lived out of town.  I didn't know the town and I knew I would have to drive to the hospital and to do the shopping.  I was afraid I would not be able to care for my uncle as he needed.  I was fearful and unsure.  I must admit that I did not always serve with gladness as God wants us to do.  Sometimes I only saw what I was not able to do because I had to "serve."  This was not the attitude God wanted me to have; God wants us to serve with a free heart, giving of one's self.

Galatians 5:13-15 "You, my brothers, were called to be free.  But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather serve one another in love.  The entire law is summed up in a single command;  "Love you neighbor as yourself."  If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other." 

It is so easy to let someone else do the serving, because they don't have anything else to do or they have more time.  That is not what God wants us to do.  That is not what God teaches.  We are instructed not only to serve, but to serve with love.  Not serve with bitterness or anger, but with love.  God wants us to serve without grumbling, fighting, or arguing. 

Can you think of ways you can serve?  Do you help your parents without grumbling?  Remember your home and family is your training ground for the future when you have your own home and family.  There are many ways that we can serve in our family and our neighborhood. Pray with me this week that God will open new ways for us to be of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment